Monday, November 23, 2009

Running...


I used to run for calorie control - that's how I started. Then one day, after running for some time, my watch broke. I almost didn't bother going for the run - thinking that if I wasn't counting and comparing and adding up the calories burned that it wouldn't count.. I went anyway and somewhere on that run it happened. I started to love the run. Not just the benefits, but the actual running... I started to hear the music (you know, chariots of fire) - I started to see the scenery and fall in love with the creator - I started to pray... not contrived or a list memorized - just free form praise and thanks and vent and well, time spent with my love. It's sweet. Now, it's a discipline that drives my prayer life... so the last few months have been difficult finding a new rhythm. Today I got the clear from the doctor that I can run again... and so I did. It wasn't a full stride, olympic venture.. just a short run, studded with some walks - but it was an old friend, a healthy reminder of the way God made me and a good time with God.
Somehow, these bodies of ours are connected to our soul - for me, this is good news. And today I'm celebrating the outdoors, the sweat, the burn and the time with Jesus. Hebrews 12 is a good text to consider...

1 comment:

Bernard Martin said...

Hi Danielle,

Good to hear of your progress. I think your point of our bodies being connected to our souls, is a very important one to recognise.

When God made Adam and Eve, they were whole beings, but consisting of body and soul. Sin is what brings about their separation at death. However, in life there are not two separate elements to our being, but two elements which are deeply fused together, and each affects the other.

However, because we are all unique individuals, our particular fusion of body and soul may well differ from that of others. So for example, I probably would not be able to do much praying when I run (I probably wouldn't be able to do much running, for that matter!). But the important thing is that I pray, we each pray, at times and contexts to which we are adapted.

The saying, 'Know Thyself', is I believe very important in this regard.

Thanks again.

Bernard