Thursday, August 28, 2008

हाई कोर्ट Decision


HIGH COURT OF AUSTRALIA
Address: PO Box 6309, Kingston ACT 2604 Telephone: (02) 6270 6998 Fax: (02) 6270 6909
Email: fhamilton@hcourt.gov.au
28 August 2008
THE QUEEN v WEI TANG
The High Court of Australia today upheld the slavery convictions of a Melbourne brothel owner and overturned the orders of the Victorian Court of Appeal for a new trial. Ms Tang was convicted in 2006 of five counts of intentionally possessing a slave and five counts of intentionally exercising a power of ownership over a slave, contrary to section 270.3(1)(a) of the Commonwealth Criminal Code. She was sentenced to 10 years’ imprisonment, with a non-parole period of six years. Ms Tang was the first person convicted under the anti-slavery laws, introduced in 1999. The charges related to five women, all Thai nationals.
read more here.

5 comments:

Heather Saunders said...

Jumped on here to see if you'd heard the news!! Praise god. Now I'm praying for the justice system to dish up the same treatment to men traffickers!!
Its a great day for justice in Oz!

Heather Saunders said...

Jumped on here to see if you'd heard the news!! Praise god. Now I'm praying for the justice system to dish up the same treatment to men traffickers!!
Its a great day for justice in Oz!

Simon Mapleback said...

Wow, great stuff!! See everyone, it is happening in our neighbourhood.. it's not just happening in far away lands, war is raging in THIS city! That's one for freedom!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Danielle for sharing such great news. But wasn't that report disturbing - $45,000 debt, the number of people a week for these women? It's just disgusting the way some people treat other people. Thank God the appeal was overturned.
Robyn Clinch

Anonymous said...

I am the kind of guy who loves to seek brand-new things. Presently I am making my hold solar panels. I am making it all by myself without the assistance of my staff. I am utilizing the internet as the only way to acheive that. I saw a really amazing website which explains how to contruct solar panels and wind generators. The internet site explains all the steps needed for solar panel construction.

I am not exactly sure bout how precise the info given there iz. If some people over here who had experience with these works can have a see and give your feedback in the thread it will be grand and I would highly appreciate it, cause I extremely take an interest in solar panel construction.

Thanks for reading this. U guys rock.